Shower faucet limited access to shut off on valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
On my Grohe valve body 35 015, I recently had to bust out the surrounding tile to gain access the the valve body shut offs.

Did that, only to find the slotted shut offs are partially blocked by the ears, see photo.

The picture is taken from the side, so coming straight in to prevent stripping the slotted shut off is not working. My attempt to close them are causing them to strip. They are not easy to turn since they never were

what's the work around? What am I missing

Blocked access.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this valve system. It seems badly designed if those tabs are supposed to be blocking the stops. This would be a reason not to buy this valve, are you sure it's assembled correctly?

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Same as in the photo above it, per instructions.

I had to open the tile wall more on the sides, was able to angle a screw driver, but still.

Poorly engineered. Needs a straight open line to the shut offs.

I asked Grohe support, waiting for an answer back.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Same as in the photo above it, per instructions.

I had to open the tile wall more on the sides, was able to angle a screw driver, but still.

Poorly engineered. Needs a straight open line to the shut offs.

I asked Grohe support, waiting for an answer back.
I looked online at some pictures. Those tabs are a part of a plate that should have four screws where the entire thing would come off but you have to shut the water off, pretty sure.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Not sure I follow. You mean turn off the whole house water to remove that metal plate to access the stops? Then turn the water back on?
If that’s it, still a bad design then

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure I follow. You mean turn off the whole house water to remove that metal plate to access the stops? Then turn the water back on?
If that’s it, still a bad design then
That may be your only option. It's not a good one, but if that's what you got then that's where your at.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I only mess with brand new stops if its a single family home I turn the entire house off. I don't trust that they won't drip

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Agree with design flaw. Are those ears used to hold on trim? If not, you could remove them with a cutoff wheel.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Holds the trim plate.

Of course that model has been discontinued, gee wonder why, bad design and the valve fails at the 6 year mark.

At the time of purchase it was highly recommended. I remember researching it before purchasing it.

What is a good all around reliable not terribly expensive valve body/valve to consider?

How hard to replace from the back. full access drywall behind?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I always install and recommend the Delta rough valve. There are plenty of trim kits, they are simple, intuitive, and reliable. They do make a with stops version if you need it. I personally am not a with stops believer. Mainly because I would prefer a regular maintenance valve to be on the supply piping.

What I do like about the Delta with stops is they have O-rings that stop the water in a different way than a regular washer type multiturn valve. It doesn't rely on how hard you can twist it to shut the water off.

rp50366-stops.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see 1 outta 10 that have stops . I don't see the big deal. a bit of disappointment but why bust open walls to replace a 6 year old valve? additionally there are 4 holes there you only use 2 right? perhaps the 2 screw holes in the way aren't needed

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was wondering if you rotated the holes vertical instead of horizontal, would you be able to also rotate the trim and have a functional valve?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps chipping more tile could get you an advantage? Just not too far!

additionally there are 4 holes there you only use 2 right? perhaps the 2 screw holes in the way aren't needed
I was thinking the same thing.

I always install and recommend the delta rough valve.
Same. One of my favorite rough in valves. We only install them with stops, which have stainless stops with o-ring seals. Kohler also has a decent rough in valve with stops which also have built in check valves to prevent crossover.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. I’m trying to simply replace the valve but wanted to keep all options open. GROHE said they would send a replacement for free, asking for the year and model.
I sent the info and haven’t heard back from them yet.

The reason it’s important to me to be able to isolate the valve body, if I have the whole house shut off and something goes south and /or have to wait for a part.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
For the Delta valves, if something happens they make little plugs that go into the hot and cold inlets so you could shut the water off, plug the valve, and then use the rest of thy house as normal. It keeps from having to rely on the stops which get all gunked up. Not sure about the Delta ones being gunked up, but it seems that other valves with stops whenever I'm answering a no hot water call, the stop is all gunked up.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I understand getting to the screws and closing the stops can be handy and if you bought a valve 6 years ago you want those stops to work. maybe a small diameter shank on the screw driver?
Is this the only problem with the valve, if so why replace it with a new valve from Grohe? I suppose you want matching trim

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Maybe I’m not referring to it correctly, the part to be replaced is the temp control valve/cartridge. 90+% of the control you get hot water only, so a balance of hot/cold your almost shutting the water off

They are sending a free replacement but it’s back ordered

They also responded about the poor design by saying “no recommendations on access and it was one of the quirks of that particular valve.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe I’m not referring to it incorrectly, the part to be replaced is the temp control valve/cartridge. 90+% of the control you get hot water only, so a balance of hot/cold your almost shutting the water off

They are sending a free replacement but it’s back ordered

They also responded about the poor design by saying “no recommendations on access and it was one of the quirks of that particular valve.
Ok well hope the new cartridge helps . I hope you dont need to change the entire valve from other side of wall it shouldnt be too hard hope its just a closet .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks