Shower enclosure

Users who are viewing this thread

Ronnie Gibbs

Reaction score
I have a contractor who is doing a remodel for us. He made a shower enclosure in the upstairs bath by tiling directly to green board with no type of waterproofing on the walls. I was wanting to know if is this in code or not for Kentucky...iI have a few friends who say its not supposed to be done this way.
Please help
thanks

Reaction score
Regardless of the answer you get, what are you prepared to do?

Did you contractor fully explain what they were going to do, and did you agree to it after getting an explanation or quote? Often when I smell that a client is "wanting the lowest price possible", I usually won't tell them about Schluter or Kerapoxy.

It basically comes down to wheter you want to tear it all off and (pay again) to get it redone, or just leave it and enjoy it. This was how they made showers before they had all that fancy waterproofing stuff, and as long as your grout is holding, water won't get through. Landlords today still "repair and renovate" tenant dwellings this way.
Schluter_Kerdi-Drain.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tiling directly to drywall (any type!) in a wet area has not been an acceptable industry standard for decades. It rarely lasts. So, no, it is NOT proper

The Tile Council of North America (TCNA) describes numerous ways to make a successful shower, and tiling directly on greenboard is not one of them.

If he used that on the walls, I'd be very leery that the shower pan is constructed properly, either, and I'd bet there are screws or nails in the curb to hold cement board in place (not an accepted method, either - no holes in the liner below 2" above the top of the curb).

Check out www.johnbridge.com , but probably the only way to fix this is to tear it out and do it properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks