Shower either totally hot or totally cold...baffled

Users who are viewing this thread

stacyburket

Reaction score
Ok, installed a new shower panel (in house #1). Valve will not mix hot and cold. It's either all hot or all cold.
I gradually turn from one temp to the other and temp suddenly changes to the other extreme.
Swapped entire panel with another panel I know to work fine (taken from house #2).
Same exact problem with this panel which was just working fine in other house.
I took this panel back to house #2. It again,works fine.
Just for kicks I took another brand new shower panel out of the box and connected in house#1.
Same problem. Valve will not hold a medium temp. Only extreme hot or extreme cold.

I'm forced to believe its something in the house.......??

I'm on a regular water heater (not tankless)
Old existing shower temp with old valve was fine before all this.
pressure (both hot and cold) is and was always fine.

Baffled, please help
Stacy

stacyburket

Reaction score
Ok, got it figured out.
In the wall, hot is on the right and cold on left.... I didn't bother to check it :(
I never knew a cartridge would react like that to hot/cold being reversed.
If I deserve it, let the flaming begin... no holds barred :-(
I got tipped off reading another post here about some cartridges being able to rotate to different position.
then thought, wait.... could the hot and cold in wall be reversed?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At least the past answers were of help. They do act funny when reversed. My friend had a Moen Posi-Temp pressure balanced shower that had been reversed. Instead of staring with cold and then rotating to hot, it started hot, just a little flow and then when rotated got more pressure but it became cold. So a nice warm shower was kind of a trickle until I reversed it for here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks