Shower drains in Honduras

Users who are viewing this thread

trchamberlain

Reaction score
I am working on a couple of shower drains in Honduras. They are in new construction but the concrete is already poured and the tiles laid right up to to top of the pipe. I know I can chip out the concrete but the pipes go horizontal just a couple inches under the surface. The first one is supposed to get the large square drain in pic 1. My first question is how do I adapt that down to the 2" drain pipe, especially with only a couple inches or less to make the transition? Do I just make a cement taper down to the pipe and cement the drain in over it? The screws in the drain are for the drain screen/stopper not for securing to the floor.
The second drain is supposed to take one of the two round drains shown in pic 4. How does this style drain work? Do I just slide it into the drain pipe and cement/grout around it? This one is also very shallow, can I just cut the lip shorter on the drain to get it down to the level of the tile?

Feel free to add anything you see from the pics I can use all the help I can get!
Thanks IMGP0560.jpgIMGP0561.jpgIMGP0562.jpgIMGP0568.jpgIMGP0570.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For starters;
Does this shower have a p-trap below the drain to prevent sewer gas from entering the home?
Is this a clamping shower drain that collects water from a vinyl liner?
Or is this a 2" plastic 90 elbow embedded into mortar? That needs some sort of cover.

SDCP.jpg

A typical clamping shower drain. They make these in PVC too.

trchamberlain

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I just got my instructions from a local guy who knows how it's done down here. This is going to make you all cringe but they just slide the bottom of the drain down the pipe and mortar it in. The square drain in the pics is only for 4" pipe so I didn't have to try to install that, thanks to God. You learn something new every day. It might not be right but it is new!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks