Shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

fredo_z

Reaction score
So this is my first time doing any kind of plumbing work. This is the drain pipe in a shower stall I'm redoing. The OD is 3 3/8 and the ID is 1 3/4. It looks like someone took a two tubes and filled the space in between them with cement. Then placed a screen on top. Obviously a store bought shower drain won't work. Any one out there have any suggestions on how to make this work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What kind of shower pan construction are you planning? That will somewhat determine the type of drain you need.

On an old, metal drain, you might want to dig out around things and check the status of the trap...they do wear (rust) out. Once you've done that, you may need to replace it, and then, you can install pipe that will work to attach your new drain. FWIW, in most codes, a 2" drain pipe and drain assembly are required.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The larger outside pipe is just a sleeve to protect the pipe on the inside. If you are lucky, the cement between the pipes is only about 1/2" thick and you can chip it away. Jad is right though, it is often best to cut the floor and get down to the trap.

fredo_z

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I was going to rebuild the mortar shower pan that was in place. It had cracks everywhere so I just broke it all off. Looks like I have to take some of the foundation out to get to the trap. This is WAY more work than I had anticipated. On my way to Home Depot and find a good chisel.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can rent a concrete saw, which will cut a nice neat square for you to work through. Dig and shop-vac the hole to clear around the trap and go from there. Get a plastic tub to mix a small batch of cement to finish the floor when you are done. Take steps to keep the dust from spreading outside of the work area, and wear safety glasses when cutting or chipping. When you do it right the first time, you won't lose any sleep over it later.

fredo_z

Reaction score
I went to Home Depot this morning and rented a jackhammer. Replaced pipe and trap and cemented the hole. Hopefully tomorrow I'll do the pan. Fun fun fun.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want some help on the build of your new shower...check out www.johnbridge.com A correctly built shower would not have cracks in it, and should last until you decide to remodel without issues. There's lots of ways to make a successful shower, but all it takes is one little error, and it can be a failure...best to get it right the first time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks