Shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Shani

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to get my bathroom remodeled. I am responsible for purchasing all the things and am stuck on what to buy for a drain. I am replacing a jacuzzi bathtub with a walk-in shower. It has a 2" drain. I have 12"x24" tile for the floor.

I have read for longer tiles to consider a lateral drain. However, all of the reviews for lateral drains say their drainage is awful and they clog easily!

Please tell me what do you recommend for a shower drain: lateral or pivot? And if you recommend a lateral drain, which one specifically? If you recommend a pivot drain, which one for that, too?

Sincerely,
Desperately Drained Dude

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I installed a lateral drain once and I have not received negative feedback

Most of the yard drains outside a garage are lateral to allow more volume to enter the drain and prevent flooding

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
12x24" tile on the shower floor would not work well using a center circular drain. One of the things that helps with a slippery wet tiled floor in a shower is the grout lines with a smaller tile. The other is conforming to the typically bowl shape of the shower pan. In a conventional shaped shower pan, generally a 4" tile is about the largest you can use without lippage. If you've got a very skilled installer making your shower pan, he can make it with four perfectly flat wedges, and if you match those 'fold' lines with grout lines, other than potentially being slippery, a larger tile, maybe just four pieces, could make up a shower floor. It's easier with a single slope to a linear drain, though.

Code calls for the waterproofing in a shower to have a minimum of 1/4" per foot. If you achieve that, it will drain just fine. Note the waterproofing layer is NOT the tile, but the tile should also maintain at least that same slope. The waterproofing layer is the pan liner. The tile setting layer is generally installed parallel with the waterproof liner.

My goto place for tiling thigs is www.johbridge.com.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks