Shower drain secondary leak prevention

Users who are viewing this thread

MHR1

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently had a shower drain rubber gasket failure that caused a leak around drain pipe that filled up the trap and leaked out from under shower pan. This resulted in drywall damage and a big mess. I replaced the shower drain with a new old work type shower drain that doesn't have as big a rubber gasket as my old shower drain. Is there a secondary water leak protection device that can fit inside the drain and over the edge of the shower pan that can help prevent this type of problem in the future? I drew a crude example of what I am trying to describe/find. It is drawn in blue to show it fitting over the edge of the shower pan and covers the rubber gasket and helps to divert water down inside the drain pipe. I am thinking I can seal it to the shower pan with caulk. Any suggestions or advice in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Secondary shower drain leak protection.png
    Secondary shower drain leak protection.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 134
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks