Shower Drain Rough-in Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark629

Reaction score
Hello,
Ive been going to this forum for years and it has helped me out quite a bit, thank you all. I am installing a bathroom in my basement and need a little advice please. The house was roughed in for a toilet and a sink but I want to add a shower and cant figure out how I would vent it with the layout I have. From my picture the big red dot is where I plan on putting the drain and the vent is fairly close but the framing is in the way. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can vent the shower without taking down the framing? The waste stack goes towards the front of the house which is the right side of the picture.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3781.JPG
    IMG_3781.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 173

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What are the two vertical PVC pipes there now? My guess is that the one on the left is drainage from the upstairs, but it looks like the one on the right might be a vent, but there's a T going off about 3' off the ground into another room. Again, I'm guessing, but maybe a washing machine? If so, then the toilet and the branch off (maybe for a sink?) are not vented. Essentially, once a pipe becomes a drain, it is no longer a vent with few exceptions.

Mark629

Reaction score
Thanks for you reply and sorry about that, I should have explained those pipes. You are correct the one on the left is the main stack and goes upstairs. I believe the one on the right is the vent and the top tee isnt connected to anything, theres a cleanout plug in it. The lower tee I think was the builders idea to have that as a drain for a sink. I was going to replumb that and have it face the other way so it can go to a vanity to the right side of the toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Then, you can run the shower vent up the wall after breaking some concrete to get access. It needs to go at least 42" above the floor, or 6" above whatever else might drain into the pipe below before it can join that existing vent line as long as there's nothing else above it that could drain into that pipe.

Depending on the diameters of the pipe involved, the shower MIGHT be able to be wet vented through the sink connection, but I'm not positive on that. That has to happen before the toilet goes into the line, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks