Shower drain relocation

Users who are viewing this thread

aridaen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here so I'll give a little background on myself. The whole Army brat moving situation gave me a unique opportunity to spend the last 3 years of high school in a vocational setting where I chose Electrical Trades. I was fully trained in electricity and worked some years after graduation and even learned plumbing as part of a plumbing/electrical company. I apprenticed in electronics and when I moved from a small town in Alabama to Houston, I worked at both Circuit City and Best Buy as a technician. I then moved into computers where I am currently a senior systems engineer, and the projects around the house bring back the good memories of my days in construction and service.

My home was constructed in 1955 and still has the original bathrooms. Recently, we discovered that the master shower was leaking and rotting the flooring underneath. After opening the walls, we found that several wall studs and floor plate were destroyed due to grout deterioration because the damage was so high up on the studs. The original master shower was an estimated almost 3'x3' with the drain in the center. I'm removing the storage from the master/hall bathrooms to enlarge the master shower and have a couple of questions. The first question is that 'would you move the drain from where it is to the center of what will be the new shower?' and the second question is "what would you do in the case of the wall in the second photo, would you resize the shower to match the wall or would you reposition the studs so that the shower is square?'. These aren't load bearing walls, so loading isn't an issue. TIA, Steve

20230523_221452_resize.jpg

2023-06-01 18_07_14-20230601_173553.jpg - ACDSee Photo Studio Home 2023_resize.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would build my shower either square or rectangular to suit. I would concider a prefabbed pan if budgeting an issue or if i had doubts on building my own pan and having another leak

Reach4

Reaction score
How is the access from below (basement or crawlspace or ground floor below)? Or is this on a slab? If slab, that would make a custom pan easier, tho you can break concrete to move a drain under a slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks