Shower Drain Receiving Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben67

Reaction score
I just found out that the second floor shower drain is leaking. The good thing is that the ceiling has been removed for repair so I have complete access to the piping.

From what I can see the receiving part of the pipe is bad. I tried to remove with with special tool but it does not turn. Looking from up there is a lot of white stuff between the drain and the receiving pipe which l think is silicon.

How can I remove and replace the receiving pipe in addition to putting a new shower drain while I am doing it. Thanks for the help

IMG_20220210_192922556.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220207_053314317.jpg
    IMG_20220207_053314317.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Loosen the black nut on the bottom side. That's what it's holding the drain to the tub.

Ben67

Reaction score
Loosen the black nut on the bottom side. That's what it's holding the drain to the tub.
Thanks for the reply.

That is what I have been trying to undo, but it seems that the builder has used some sort of silicon glue which makes it really hard to unscrew.
I was thinking of using a hair dryer to heat the joint and then try to unscrew it. I am going in the right direction or am I wasting my time?

Is there any way to unscrew a joint like this? Or should I just cut it off and add a new section with threads?

I

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
As fast as I know the UPC hasn't made pro press legal for underground. I know the companies that make the fittings are saying they can be underground. Not sure about IPC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks