Shower Drain & Plumbers Putty

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Howdy all--

New shower receptor and wall surround going in (Sterling Vikrell). Old shower pan had the drain flange/fitting installed with silicone caulk between the flange face and pan.

We're using the old flange on the new receptor: Is it acceptable to scrape off the caulk and use plumbers putty on the mating surface, or should it be silicone caulk instead?

Thanks!

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
This is an old post, but just want to point out that I was going to use plumbers putty but then saw that both Oatey and Sioux Chief recommend silicone for their drain installs with preformed showers. I used silicone and am very glad I did. It will be a pain if I ever need to remove it, but if that's the case, it's time to install a new shower I think!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks