Shower drain pipe (riser) not plumb

Users who are viewing this thread

Kaymandavis

Reaction score
I have an Oatey brass 'no caulk' shower drain. It uses a rubber gasket that sits over the PVC drain pipe (riser, correct?). The riser is enough out of plumb that the rubber gasket doesn't seal properly. I did a leak test and it failed.
Before opening up the basement ceiling and cutting pipes to get things plumb, can i just replace the rubber gasket with silicone? I figure if it works, is works. If not, I'm no worse off for trying and can always resort to opening the ceiling below to fix the issue.
Because the basement ceiling is only partially finished, I have a line of visibility that will allows me to see if there are leaks before the drywall would bow and collapse.
My plumber did the rough-in plumbing to get the p-trap in place, but I'm guessing it wasn't level. So when I put in the riser it was not plumb. Should he have to fix it or me for having glued in the riser?
If the silicone will work, that would be easiest. Maybe not best practices, but will it work?
Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take the rubber compression sleeve out. Slather in dope. Dope the threads of the slotted compression nut and re tighten.

Are you using that flat tool to tighten it?
I have an Oatey brass 'no caulk' shower drain. It uses a rubber gasket that sits over the PVC drain pipe (riser, correct?). The riser is enough out of plumb that the rubber gasket doesn't seal properly. I did a leak test and it failed.
Before opening up the basement ceiling and cutting pipes to get things plumb, can i just replace the rubber gasket with silicone? I figure if it works, is works. If not, I'm no worse off for trying and can always resort to opening the ceiling below to fix the issue.
Because the basement ceiling is only partially finished, I have a line of visibility that will allows me to see if there are leaks before the drywall would bow and collapse.
My plumber did the rough-in plumbing to get the p-trap in place, but I'm guessing it wasn't level. So when I put in the riser it was not plumb. Should he have to fix it or me for having glued in the riser?
If the silicone will work, that would be easiest. Maybe not best practices, but will it work?
Thanks

Joey43

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my 2" riser out of plumb. I need to move it 9" to install a shower no hub linear drain but am concerned with leaks. Is this issue common? Easily fixed?

Did the recommended solution fix your issue?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my 2" riser out of plumb. I need to move it 9" to install a shower no hub linear drain but am concerned with leaks. Is this issue common? Easily fixed?

Did the recommended solution fix your issue?
You're trying to tweak a pipe 9"?

Joey43

Reaction score
Your trying to tweak a pipe 9"?
I'm moving the 2" shower riser 9" to install a linear drain for a shower rather than a bathtub. I was planning to use 2 90's for the move, but not sure if my no hub linear drain will leak. If I remove more concrete and the p trap I can redo the original work but that is a lot of work. Hoping for a better solution.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread. Just seemed like the same issue.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks