Shower Drain Not Attached to Anything.. Missing a Part?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cassandra

Reaction score
IMG_20190405_215624973.jpg
IMG_20190405_215635302.jpg
IMG_20190405_220052162.jpg
IMG_20190405_220056465.jpg

I'm renting a "mother-in-law" style house that was built around the early to mid 60s (so I'm told). It is on a concrete slab, and the bathroom has a shower stall without a tub. Shortly after moving in, I noticed that the drain cover wobbles back and forth. I tried turning the drain, thinking it may just be loose, and found that it wasn't attached to anything. It's just sitting on top of the drain pipe (see photos).

I can tell there are threads on the drain assembly that used to go somewhere, and the drain pipe itself looks like it has some sort of threading but is so covered in sludge that I can't tell where the drain attaches to the pipe or if it is sealed/leaking water below.

I was able to make out some of the writing on the white seal around the drain cover, I think it reads "NEOPRENE 2 NO HUB MADE IN USA" I was able to find replacement no hub couplers, which I'm guessing is the missing part. My question: if that is the part I need to replace, is there something else on the drain pipe that needs to be removed/replaced in order to attach that piece?

I apologize if this is vague or has the wrong terminology, the most experience I have with plumbing repairs only goes as far as installing a faucet or repairing a leaky hose bib.

Unfortunately, my landlord is extremely unreliable when it comes to repairs, as I've been waiting for him to replace a broken window pane for months (that was broken before I moved in), and after waiting over three weeks for him to look at the leaky water spigot in the laundry room, I just repaired it myself. Normally I wouldn't put up with this in a rental, but the rent is cheap and it's in a great neighborhood. I'm only living here while I wait for other housing to become available, which should be within 6 months to a year (hopefully).

View attachment 52639 View attachment 52640 View attachment 52641 View attachment 52642 View attachment 52640 View attachment 52641 View attachment 52642 View attachment 52640

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It looks to me like someone used caulk to stick a tub strainer into a shower drain because they did not have the right strainer. Until the existing components are really cleaned up, it would be hard to see anything otherwise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks