Shower Drain Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

merce

Reaction score
I've got a leaking shower drain in an apartment building. I only noticed while exploring a crawl space. The drain is an Oatey Casper's SBCCI ES.
I get the impression it's glued in place (purple residue visible in the photos) and cannot unscrew so I'm left scratching my head...do I just caulk around the drain every year or two and not rent to anyone over 200lbs who might flex the plastic shower pan and break the silicone seal??
The leak seems minor, just a dampness of the subfloor an inch or two around the drain. No waterfalls. I'd be curious to hear suggestions and whether they fall into the category of short term or long term fix.
Thank you kindly for reading this post!

Attachments

• IMG_5602.JPG
    IMG_5602.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_5603.JPG
    IMG_5603.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 443

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tried to find that on Oatey's website, and failed. It may be a proprietary one made by them for some pan manufacturer. Often, those are held to the pan with a big nut on the bottom and sealed with a rubber gasket. Ideally, when the pan is installed, it is bedded in some mortar so that it doesn't flex, which can cause the pan to stress crack, and can loosen up the drain.

Rather than silicone, you might try some KerdiFix. It's a silane based material, still has some flex, will cure underwater, but needs to be installed while dry. Neither one is easy to remove if you ever need to, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks