Shower Drain leaking - advice

Users who are viewing this thread

redcard71

Reaction score
Shower drain (square) leaking to ceiling below. Shower floor is tiled with cement poured pan. Plumber filled shower pan and when drained noticed water holding around the drain collar. Plumber and tile guy had disagreed on how to install drain. Plumber had it oriented with collar down but tile guy flipped it saying collar went up. Anyone heard of this? And fixing require big tear out I assume?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
fipped a collar? provide pictures and info. type of pan etc.
generally if you fill a shower pan and no water leaks then the pan hasent failed . if you pull the plug and the draining water leaks it is almost always a leak in the plumbing. Im talking about standard hot mop or pvc liner pans .
No idea what you got going on pertains to this.
Leaky plumbing and showers arent unusual so yea heard of it many times

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the clamping collar was the part in question. Looking at a drain from my shelf the clamping collar has a threaded portion that recesses into the main body of the shower drain. Looking at it as a cross section, it would be an L shape upside down. By flipping it upwards to create a deeper mud pan, the tile setter may have created a dam that prevented water from its easiest
path down past the adjustable top.

Tile Path.png

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok now I see what could be what Redcard 71 is talking about. If thats the case the plumber is off the hook ? I would guess the dam is high as well . I think the drain top could be extended in a certain way without harm but thats none of my doing . I plumb the shower drain and avoid even contracting with hot mop/ pan builder or tile guy . but I have been forced to provide hot mopper I prefer to limit my liability on showers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks