Shower drain leak help needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

tjkruts

Reaction score
I have a fiberglass shower (upstairs) and recently the drain started leaking. (A drip from the ceiling below.) I would think that it would have to do with the seal to the shower floor? Are there any other reasons? Is this a fix requiring me to go through the ceiling below or can it be sealed from above.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the time, it's the putty drying out on the drain.
Normal repair is to replace the drain, using Silicone this time from the underside. Yes, the ceiling will be cut out to do this.

If not the drain, it could be someone showering with the door open, ( Yes, this really happens, they sometimes don't admit it until after I've cut holes in their home. )

Or one time, it was a broken shower arm. I discovered that one in a third floor apartment, they knew the shower head was dangling there, but didn't bother to tell anyone.

Or it could be the seal around the shower faucet pie pan.

See..........It's easy!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks