Shower Drain installed with no gasket or locking nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc

Reaction score
See picture below, we had a Sioux Chief 828 shower drain installed in our shower pan and the installer left off the rubber gasket, fiber gasket, and locking nut. He says the Polyurethane Sealant is enough. Then why would the manufacture (Sioux Chief) include the rubber gasket, fiber gasket, and locking nut? It doesn't appear typical to me, but is this normal to not use the gasket and locking nut?
Missing rubber gasket and fiber gasket shower drain seal.jpg

Everything below the wedi Fundo Primo shower pan was NOT installed.

Wedi Drain Assembly.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that looks like a drain for a factory made shower pan. No familiar with your style of build, looks all wrong to me So My answer is, No this isn't normal stop the work and figure it out

Dohc

Reaction score
that looks like a drain for a factory made shower pan. No familiar with your style of build, looks all wrong to me So My answer is, No this isn't normal stop the work and figure it out
Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback.

The installing company now suggest that they sheet the inside of the shower with a water proof membrane, they are asking if they could use either of these...
https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Membranes/c/M

My concerns, can you use two water proof devices, the pre-made shower pan and membrane, will that work together? What about water/moisture trapped between the two?
How do you "adhere" or "glue" the water proof membrane to the Sioux Chief 828 shower drain? I noticed that Polyurethane Sealant does not stick to the plastic Sioux Chief drain.

Shower Drain.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does not look like a shower I've seen . Its a little hard to explain but I don't think that drain is for the type of pan. furthermore Your shower pan might not be proper regardless of which drain you use, I'm concerned seeing what I see that anything is done correctly , I suggest you take a very keen eye to this work before proceeding

Dohc

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. I should explain the shower drain and shower pan came in a kit from wedi. It is a wedi Fundo Primo shower system. But the installing contactor failed to install all the parts provided in the kit.

They have now offered to change out the wedi pan and drain kit and use a PVC glue in drain included with a Schluter®-KERDI-SHOWER-T/-TS/-TT pan. I am considering their offer as I feel it would be the best way forward.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
All I can tell you is its wrong , Good they are willing to redo. Somehow they are off track hope they know the proper way of redoing it. Sorry but this is serious stuff to put it all together then have water damage and mold down the road

Last edited:

Dohc

Reaction score
All I can tell you is its wrong , Good they are willing to redo. Somehow they are off track hope they know the proper way of redoing it. Sorry but this is serious stuff to put it all together then have water damage and mold down the road

Thank you all for the feedback. I ended up purchasing the Schluter pan, and the contractor removed the wedi pan and replaced with the Schluter. Not happy with the rework, as there was no good reason for it, but it is fixed now.

Attachments

• PXL_20220626_021545261.jpg
    PXL_20220626_021545261.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 215
  • PXL_20220621_032026190.jpg
    PXL_20220621_032026190.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 161
  • PXL_20220617_005839786.jpg
    PXL_20220617_005839786.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 154

Dohc

Reaction score
It is TOTALLY WRONG

Call a lawyer
Sylvan,

Interesting timing that you post on this thread, considering I am meeting with the contactor (again) on this work. Now we are dealing with water that is weeping around the shower pan and into the wall/cement board, causing the paint on the outer walls to "bubble" and start to peal, at which point we noted the tile backer board is getting (and staying) very wet. Even 24 hours later this area in the "wall" behind the paint is very wet. The outside of the paint is dry and is always dry even right after a shower.

PXL_20221002_021814227.jpg

We have been trying to work with the contractor, and I have been talking direct with the owner, but this has dragged out for some time, and we have moved in and need this shower to be working all the time. I hate to have my lawyer get involved. We have held back about 1/4 of the invoice, but now I am afraid that is not enough $ to get them back to do it correct and to NOT interrupt our daily use of the shower.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I have been an expert witness regarding plumbing -heating and fire suppression and even roofing for over 35 years

In your situation I would state in my affidavit the following

1- Due to the extended period of water infiltration there is now a possibility of mold and could account for the children coughing and possible headaches we have been having

2- Any insulation or sheet rock is now acting as a sponge making the situation more intolerable as the odor is unbearable and of course we now have an infestation of insects

3- It has been suggested we need a "Toxic cleaning company" such as Servpro to evaluate how severe the condition has become because of all the procrastination of the company we hired

I had a similar case and the Chub insurance adjuster after reading my "Opinion" decided to have the walls removed and tested for mold and walls replaced

This "opinion" I charged $3500.00 for back in the late 1980's

Most contractor when they hear Asbestos, mold, Mercury, lead and other types of Toxic exposure seem to pay more attention to what the client is saying

The picture is in a hotel in Manhattan that had a severe leak from a soil line inside a kitchen due to negligence of a plumbing contractor .

I was paid $15,800 for an affidavit and going to a deposition and the case should be coming to court in the next few months.

The contractor used a rubber cap called a Jim cap instead of approved materials and the cap blow off spreading feces all over the kitchen and exposing the cooking staff to all types of possible diseases

Attachments

• goZA9u8Q.jpeg
    goZA9u8Q.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 131

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sylvan,

Interesting timing that you post on this thread, considering I am meeting with the contactor (again) on this work. Now we are dealing with water that is weeping around the shower pan and into the wall/cement board, causing the paint on the outer walls to "bubble" and start to peal, at which point we noted the tile backer board is getting (and staying) very wet. Even 24 hours later this area in the "wall" behind the paint is very wet. The outside of the paint is dry and is always dry even right after a shower.

View attachment 86767

We have been trying to work with the contractor, and I have been talking direct with the owner, but this has dragged out for some time, and we have moved in and need this shower to be working all the time. I hate to have my lawyer get involved. We have held back about 1/4 of the invoice, but now I am afraid that is not enough $ to get them back to do it correct and to NOT interrupt our daily use of the shower.
Originaly wasent the shower pan built wrong An owner should be able to put some trust in contractor I dont know how it was built , Showers are unusual a crappy job can go un noticed for awhile , some guys dont really know what they are doing and get away with a lot at expence of poor quality and problems once the tile is up it looks great who knows if it was done right? I give most people benefit of doubt that they dont know better and do best they can . I saw red flags monthes ago but dont know what got corrected

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks