Shower Drain Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

CoryC

Reaction score
I am installing a Kohler K-9135 shower drain in what will be a mud job not a shower pan.My question is should I cut the drain pipe now so that the bottom flange of the unit is flush with the sub floor,or leave the pipe long and cut it when the mortar is installed?.It seems to me common sense tells me to cut it flush with the sub floor,but I really am not sure how to go about it. Thank You CoryC

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Kohler K-9135 Shower Drain.

This is a typical three piece clamping drain. You need a pre-slope out from the lower flange at 1/4" per foot in all directions. You need to design that any way you see fit. Then add waterproofing a flood test for three days. all water should drain after the flood test. Then the mortar bed over top of the waterproofing.

ProductDetailTemplate

Is this the exact model you have?

There are two mortar steps. Pre-slope and final shower prep. Some people use pre-sloped cardboard for this. Some people slope the plywood. Things like that.

So your answer stems from water system and materials you choose. What the subfloor is like now. Etc.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I just set the pre-slope today for a new job in Yale Town Vancouver. I'll post a few pictures of this step with a measuring safety check you should use to ensure the pre-slope is excatly 1/4" per foot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code requires a minimum of 1/4"/foot. That is usually fine. If you choose something like pebbles, you want more slope. The normal convention is to try to center your drain AND have the perimeter level. If your shower is not perfectly square with the drain centered, then the shorter wall will need to be steeper than 1/4"/foot to the drain if you want your perimeter level. Say the shower is 4x6' and the drain is centered...the distance from the long corner to the drain would be over 3', so would need over 3/4" fall, where to the shorter walled corner, you'd have a bit over 2', and need only 1/2". TO keep the perimeter level, that slope would be steeper.

This is all covered at http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=8&page=1&pp=60&sort=title&order=asc in their 'Liberry' which contains some useful info and industry standards and numerous pros that can help..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks