Shower drain, horizontal direction changes and dry vent challenge

Users who are viewing this thread

IJeffG

Reaction score
image.jpg

DIYer doing a significant remodel of our 2nd floor master bath. We removed our old tub, along with the adjacent shower, including a wall between the two (this wall had the vent line for both tub and shower.

We replaced this space with a larger walk in shower, to include a new wall. In trying to use the existing 2" drain line to the basement, I realized the vent line would be problematic. In being all-consuming about the vent line, I came up with the routing shown here.

If link isn't working, then please see iJeffG on Flickr, its first photo.

This morning, while starting to investigate shower valve installation, I happened across a forum post about "proper" horizontal fittings. I realize, now, that my mulltiple-90's solution to keep the dry-vent line to code caused a bigger concern with flow restriction, on arguably the more important water drain line. I am installing a horizontal intermediate drain in the shower and have to make sure flow out is optimal. As shown, the entire run maintains a 1/4 per foot slope to the line exiting the joist cavity.

I believe the drain line 90's to a vertical 2-story drop in the next one or two joist cavities.

Question to all. Am I correct in believing this solution is not to code? I also believe I need a clean-out somewhere in this cavity due to exceeding 135 degrees?..

Any thoughts on how I can fix this? I have no upstream sources to make a wet vent...so optimizing the. Flow would mean a horizontal dry vent (sloped 1/4 per foot, though I don't believe that works for vent lines

Lost a day, knowing I have to redo...thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're allowed 135 degrees of change on a trap arm. You also get to swivel the trap.
That means one 90 and one 45, and then swivel the trap.
Though it looks to me like one 90 and then swivel the trap. Why the two extra 90's there?

The trap also needs venting with 42" on a 1.5" line and 60" on a 2.0" line or the trap will siphon.

IJeffG

Reaction score
image.jpg

Thanks for responding.

Maybe Attached pic will help. Note the vertical pipe and tissue is temporary to leak test the p-trap. Water was seeping out of my non-glued side of trap.

Last edited:

IJeffG

Reaction score
image.jpg
Removed the floor adjacent to work area. Seems it's going to be tough to fix?.. how can I remove one of these couplers/bends without damaging enough pipe to patch in to??? Edit: heat gun worked, new work is now removed.

Looking for routing ideas that allow for dry vent and few 90's

Bottom left of this image bends 90 to vertical

Last edited:

IJeffG

Reaction score
No one?

When I re-design for the drain to have optimal flow, I end up with a 4' dry vent running almost horizontal to the the wall. Seems to me, a very strong drain flow and marginal vent would increase likelihood of siphoning...so I think I'm back to doing the first implementation, but adding a clean out.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We need to see the big picture of where all the walls are within about 10' of the trap on that floor and the one below.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would putting a cleanout in the vertical vent pipe make this more acceptable?

IJeffG

Reaction score
image.jpg
I Made it work. And, met code for the drain, vent, and necessary clean out due to number of turns. It was tight for slope but I made the 1/4" per foot drop all the way around. By using street long-90's by the vent, I was even able to have all 3 90s be long ones, rather than three shorts in my original effort. The clean-out is a little tight. I angled the access up so crud doesn't fall out when removing...an LED light will provide access to the clean out. I realize it's less than optimal, but I do believe that location is provides sufficient access to clean the entire run. Not perfect...but it works.

Reach4

Reaction score
I hate to tell you, but you angled the cleanout the wrong way.

Were you figuring you could access the cleanout by pulling out the light fixture?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It looks like the piping may be 1-1/2", which does not meet code for a shower. We would also not be allowed to use a sanitary tee on it's back for the vent take-off. A clean out in the vent might have gotten by here, depending on who is doing the inspection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks