Shower drain help

Users who are viewing this thread

Clem

Reaction score
The shower drain in my downstairs shower is leaking. I am not at all sure of how to fix this and am hoping someone here can give me idea of how to proceed. The shower is a 32" one piece fiberglass stall which sits on a concrete floor. The drain is plastic with a stainless steel grate. To me it looks like the drain sits on top of a rubber gasket on top of a 2" black drain pipe. Not sure if I can fix the drain somehow(gasket maybe?) or if the drain needs to be replaced. There are no screws that I can see so I assume it somehow screws out? Hopefully I don't have to take the shower out to fix the drain? Here is a picture that I hope will give enough information to offer suggestions. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower leak

Are you sure that the leak is at the drain and not water that is escaping around the door or shower curtain ?

Do this test: Cover the drain with a piece of newspaper, JUST BIG AND THICK ENOUGH to hold water on that drain. Get a pail of hot water from the kitchen and pour it on the paper covering the drain.

Then check to see of your still leaking. If it is, then come back to Terry's site.

Clem

Reaction score
I should have said earlier but I have already tested it so I am sure it is the drain.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
drain

Check to see if you can pop out the strainer with a screwdriver. You say there are no screws, so it probably will pry out.

That strainer assembly is probably held on with a 2" lock nut on the underside.
Check and see if there is a black rubber slipped around the 2" drain pipe. If there is something else there try to pick it out. Should be able to get a proper rubber seal for the drain at HD and or a good plumbing shop. It's tapered and fits tight, so you need to put a little grease on it and drive it in with a chisel

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If the drain is leaking where it is fastened to the shower's base, then it has to be removed to tighten or replace the drain. If it is just the seal to the pipe, which is not likely, then the rubber sleeve can be pulled out and a new one inserted.

Clem

Reaction score
Thanks for your input hj.

I have determined that the flange is cracked and that is where it is leaking. It would seem then that pulling the shower out is my only option. I certainly will do what it takes however a friend of mine sent me the following info and link. Would certainly welcome opinions on this. Has anyone here ever used this product? Any feedback or opinions are certainly welcome. While it is a bit expensive it would be well worth it to me for the time and hassle it would save IF it works...

http://www.plumbrite.com/

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower

I've never seen the repair part, but it would sure beat taking the whole thing out.
It really looks like it would work.

Khayes

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel, upstairs master bath. Had a new tub installed and an enlarged shower pan (cultured marble) installed. I used the WingTite kit from Plumbrite and so far, so good. I am doing my leak test tonight. The unit fits very tight around the 2-inch PVC drain...and installed fairly quickly. The only difficulty I had was that my drain pipe kept pushing down as I tried to press the WingTite on it..but I was able to get it down. I feel confident that there will be no leaks, but in case there is I wonder how I will be able to remove it and re-seat it. If I have any problems after the leak test, I will post for others.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks