Shower Drain Grate Glued in - Broken

Users who are viewing this thread

Coachjfk

Reaction score
My shower drain grate was glued in. I had to break it out to clear a clog. The adhesive is not hard like an epoxy or rubbery like silicone. It is not sticky either. This shower was part of a home addition that happened 15 years ago. This prefab acrylic shower is on the 2nd floor without easy access to the bottom without going through the ceiling below. While I was careful snipping and prying the pieces of the old grate out, I did not expect to see this.

I am worried that I might have broken the seal here somehow between the adhesive and the pipe and flange. This doesn't look right and I'm also concerned about the roughsawn pipe sticking up too high as well as the uneven adhesive being a poor place to put a new grate for the drain. I'm reluctant to just glue in a new grate to level things out and hope for the best.

This appears to be an AB&A No 3500 but I can't seem to locate a replacement grate for it either. Does it snap in/screw in?
Thoughts/Suggestions...Thank you in advance.
20230207_164418.jpg
20230207_165540.jpg
20230213_115302.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score

Coachjfk

Reaction score
They are snap-in grates. The actual seal is way below and not an issue
You can typically find generic shower pan drain grates in chrome or white plastic at good hardware and plumbing supply shops.

Thank you for the reply. That's great to know that the seal is way below.
Quick question if you don't mind... Is it "normal" to fill the gap with an adhesive like shown? In all my watching videos/pictures on DIY forums etc... I don't see anything remotely like this. Especially as gluing down the grate prevents removing them for clean out purposes.

Either way... I'll be getting a snap in grate. Hopefully, it will fit as is without needing to grind down any of the existing glue.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks