Shower Drain, does this look right?

Users who are viewing this thread

pharcydeabc

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a contractor rebuild our standing shower and it's been a mess. The shower pan leaks and he used drywall behind the tile, with no waterproofing. I was told by the tenant, who's a handyman, that the drain fitting is incorrect. Can anyone take a look at the photo and let me know what you think? Also, I'm thinking that tile should have been used at the bottom where you exit the shower (the red circle at the front of the pic). Thanks!

RenderedImage-L.jpg

IMG_0315-L.jpg

pharcydeabc

Reaction score
Also, they're rebuilding the shower now. I want to check up on them and make sure that the job is being done correctly this time. What steps do I need to check? I've been watching videos but any advice would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless they are using Kerdi or Hydroban sheet waterproofing membranes, NOBODY allows drywall in a wet area, so that would be your first big red flag.

A big, common mistake is to put a fastener lower than 2" above the top of the curb. That also means NO fasteners IN the curb through any waterproofing.

I can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like that's the proper drain for a tiled application.

Neither tile nor grout are considered waterproofing, they are a decorative, wear surface. So, there must be waterproofing beneath the tile and over the curb.

Plumbing code requires that that waterproofing be sloped (minimum of 1/4"/foot) to the drain, and, unless using a surface applied membrane, the clamping drain must have weepholes and those MUST be kept clear so the water that does get beneath the tile can drain out.

Building a shower isn't terribly hard technically and there are numerous methods listed in the industry bible - TCNA Handbook (updated annually).

For more help on a tiled shower, see article in the tutorial section, and check out www.johnbridge.com.

Given what you've said, I think this is a total tearout and rebuild.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks