Shower drain concern

Users who are viewing this thread

John Fritz

Reaction score
I am installing a new shower and was going to adjust the location of the drain and convert it to an ABS shower drain using a horizontal fernco. This seemed like a simple plan at first. However, on closer look at the existing copper shower drain configuration, I am unsure about that plan.

The existing shower drain arm is a copper 2" which is roughly 5 +ft from the stack. The slope on the drain is only a few millimeters on the first 5 ft and the suddenly drops down 3.5" through two elbows into a wye which connects to a T at the stack (see closeup photo attached). The Wye goes off to a toilet bend which also needs a fernco as it's a lead bend (part of original plan).

From online research it appears that a 3.5" drop would put the trap weir too high and it might be siphoned. There should be a max of 2" drop as far as I can tell for a 2" pipe. Also there is a very very shallow slope on the first 5 ft and it is unclear how that would drain. I could theoretically run water through the drain to test it.

So I am hoping someone can suggest if this drain needs some modification.

One idea I had was to desolder the 3" pipe at the T and redo the toilet and shower drain in ABS. However, desoldering a 3" copper pipe might be virtually impossible. Also, there is a vent for the sink which might be of use to tap into.

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_135242111.jpg
    IMG_20200722_135242111.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20200722_134037613.jpg
    IMG_20200722_134037613.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 91

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bad instalation no vent for shower trap arm for toilet shouldnt have a shower plumbed to it either. You can test with water but no suprise there water will always drain out the lowest side even with no slope

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks