Shower drain clogged. Drain removal?

Users who are viewing this thread

DrainHelp29

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Our master shower drain has become clogged. I looked at the drain cover and noticed there are no screws to remove it. I tried prying it open using a screwdriver and allen wrench, and it would not pop out. Is the shower drain cover grouted in? If so, how do I remove it? I'm thinking of trying to use the drain weasel hair clog tool thru one of the drain holes, but am worried it will be hard to bring it back out of the drain cover with whatever it brings back up.

I've attached a picture of the drain and the "drain weasel" tool.
IMG_4938.jpg
IMG_4939.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I think the holes nearest the corners are actually prongs that snapped in. I would try more force. That does not mean it is the right thing to do.

In the attached snip, I put an orange arrow next to one of the presumed prongs, where I would try sticking a suitably sized flat screwdriver to pry. Note that the force would be applied to a thicker part of the metal rather than a thin web part.

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 348

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The cover should pry off. If not, go slow with the drain weasel and have a knife handy to cut off the hairs that will be clinging to it.

DrainHelp29

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was able to get the drain cover off and ran the drain weasel and removed a decent amount of hair/gunk. Ran the water and the drain is still clogged unfortunately. What would you guys recommend for my next step? Try a plunger? Or is it time to call a professional?

Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
I like the Brasscraft drain bladder. I think a medium would be good. That would mean hooking up a garden hose.

A plunger would be safe, but I think the bladder may be more effective. If you have a plunger handy, give it a try. But if you have a plunger handy, why is that? You could maybe benefit from a new toilet too. ;-) The trapways on new toilets are less angular than the old ones.

But yes, a pro cleaning that would get'r done quickly. Do you have another slow drain that could be addressed in the same visit?

Reach4

Reaction score
What does having a slow shower drain have to do with "needing a new toilet"?
He mentioned plunger. I think a lot of people with good toilets don't have a plunger handy.

If he calls a plumber, clear the shower drain plus put in a new toilet would be a nice efficient trip.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cause is probably still more hair, maybe at or around the trap.

At this point I rather pull the clump out than push it further in.

A small snake, even a simple manual snake can pull the bigger clump out, if you know how to do it.

A plunger? no, not with hair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks