Shower drain clog

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave95v6

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been having difficult time unclogging a shower drain. The shower drain shares a bathtubs drain. I’ve used plunger/draino/snake without success. I cannot get the snake to go further down the drain as it only finds a way to the tubs drain or vice versa. No matter how patiently I use the snake it will come out through the other drain. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Using chemicals is USELESS and can cause major problems

When we do drain cleaning and someone uses Draino we add a $100 extra surcharge as now my employees have an added risk due to the lye which can cause burns and possible eye damage.

They now need to wear extra protection goggles, long sleeve shirts ,rubber gloves

The best way is to snake through the Shower drain as it is 2" (hopefully) and the trap should be under the drain outlet

Snaking though the tub over flow is a challenge unless you use a very flexible cable such as a Rigid K 40 machine which I am selling two of them

Dave95v6

Reaction score
Using chemicals is USELESS and can cause major problems

When we do drain cleaning and someone uses Draino we add a $100 extra surcharge as now my employees have an added risk due to the lye which can cause burns and possible eye damage.

They now need to wear extra protection goggles, long sleeve shirts ,rubber gloves

The best way is to snake through the Shower drain as it is 2" (hopefully) and the trap should be under the drain outlet

Snaking though the tub over flow is a challenge unless you use a very flexible cable such as a Rigid K 40 machine which I am selling two of them

thank you for your input Sylvan

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is the tub and shower back to back? A double sanitary tee may have been used but what is not know if the drain goes down o the main from the tub or shower, I would venture to guess it's at the tub. What type of lever is used tp close the tub drain? A toe stopper at the tub drain, a trip lever with a stopper or lever to the tub drain. Just google tub drain assembly to see the three variations. If the over flow has no lever or a lever with a stopper as shown below it can be removed and snake from the overflow. However, I would think the tub would also have a problem draining.

tub-drain-linkage.jpg
double-santee-pvc.jpg

Dave95v6

Reaction score
You are right, the shower and tub are back to back, and both have draining problems. When draining water from the tub, it fills up in the shower but not vice versa. Attaching pics.

37A3C1E5-F993-4406-9290-8BAD68E740A6.jpeg
F4F6BB91-94F2-4ED8-AB0E-D1221211A3FB.jpeg

Dave95v6

Reaction score
I'm able snake through the overflow pipe after removing the cover no problem, but the snake comes out at the shower drain every time and clean no debris at all.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The Shower is lower then the tub so of course it will have drainage filling first.

Again TRY to snake from the shower with a drop head cable or a

General Wire 120050 Flexicore Cable 1/4 inch x 25', With Double Down Head

Just go very slowly

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks