Shower drain and venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Craig Cammarata

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
New poster here. I'm in the process of building a new stand up shower to add to an existing 1/2 bath. I've excavated the 4" sewer line and a wye for the 2" shower drain. As you can see from the pic the 2" drain line continues past the shower trap to a 90 then eventually up a vertical stud cavity of a newly framed wall where it will tie into an existing 2" vent. In the vertical stud bay I want to install a 2" sanitary tee so I can add a slop sink to the garage (the outside of this framed newly framed wall is the garage side). Is this legal? I'm concerned that when the slop sink drains it will pull the water out of the shower trap, although it is vented, and I do plan to keep it 2" all the way to the venting tie in. I appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks!
Craig

piping for shower.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They allow that for a hand sink in a bathroom. Those typically have a 1.25" drain into a 1.5" p-trap. Laundry sinks and kitchen sinks aren't covered though with that.

You can ask the inspector if they are good with the sink you have. I would guess that it would work though.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
make hole in garage floor put a 3 x2 wye flat then a 2 inch combo on back coming up in wall that's your vent for shower and waste for sink . I think your idea is ok but i know its not legal . maybe you don't want patch in nice garage floor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks