Shower door rail has openings INSIDE the shower? Ruining caulking.

Users who are viewing this thread

TxBuckeye

Reaction score
So I posted earlier about my caulking failing. Now I am having the issue again in other places. So I was tearing out the old caulking to redo it yet again and there was a LOT of water behind the caulking. So I cleaned it all out and let it sit to get good and dry. I went back up and had a lot of water again. I dried it with a towel again, went back, and had a lot of water again! After several rounds of this, I noted this:

http://imgur.com/OGA5fON

It seems the water is all inside the base of my door and is just running back in to the area where I pulled out the caulking. These are indeed openings. The rail seems hollow, so it seems these openings are just letting the water collect and drain in behind my caulking, and that is what is causing it to rot out and my shower to leak. Is this right? Should these openings be there on the inside of my shower? Seems like these should be capped off or something?

TxBuckeye

Reaction score
Should that water be able to run out the end and get in behind the caulking? Because honestly, that seems to be what is happening.All the water I keep cleaning up and reappearing is in that corner where that frame meets the wall. Coincidence? Should I be looking for plumbing leaks or something? The shower is upstairs and we haven't seen any signs of leaks on the ceiling downstairs or anything.

Reaction score
I don't know what your DIY skillset is like, whther you followed the manufacturers installation instructions.

We'd need to see a pdf or scan of the install literature.

We'd need to see pics of your work every step of the way.

Those holes on the bottom are weep holes and MUST be left exposed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to seal the ends with caulking. It should have been done when the bottom rail was installed between the side rails, (when it was bedded to the sill with caulking).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks