Shower Diverter Question

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by RedCliff, Oct 19, 2009.

  1. RedCliff

    RedCliff New Member

    Oct 19, 2009
    Hello and Help!

    Without getting into my nitemare, I'll cut to the chase. I'm trying to install a new tub and shower faucet. It's a Moen, and this is the manual for installation: The manual completely skips over what I need to know. How do you install the diverter valve part? I'm not even sure if I have the right name so I have attached a picture of what I'm replacing.
    How do you install something that has threaded parts that are on soldered parts? How do I put in a new one of these??? I have practiced sweating pipes on some parts I bought, so I can do it, and I'm fairly handy - just ignorant. I don't know the proper names for anything, but I know I can do this, I just need a little advice.

    Thank you.

    Attached Files:

  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    It is called a mixing valve. You will have an extremely difficult job to replace it through that small access. The valve in the picture had female threads. Someone installed male adapters and then soldered the copper to those adapters.

    Does your new model have threads, male or female? If yours has male threads, you can use female adapters and solder to them, or you can insert the copper right into the valve body and solder direct . Obviously, in all cases, you will remove all internal parts of the valve prior to soldering on or near.

    The existing valve is not a beautiful example of a good solder job, but apparently lasted all these years.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. RedCliff

    RedCliff New Member

    Oct 19, 2009
    Thank you for your reply,

    My new mixing valve (thanks again) has female threads on all four connections. I know I'll be able to heat up the connections and just pull apart to get the old one out, but how do I get a new one on? If I have to I can go through the wall on the other side for a bigger hole, but I'd rather not.
    My guess is, I'll have to make the threaded connections and then solder all of those connections to finally install it. Am I right? It seems backwards to normal logic, but who am I to say what's right?
Similar Threads: Shower Diverter
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Shower multi-head diverter plumbed wrong? Nov 12, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Add diverter and body sprays to typical tub/shower combo kit Nov 5, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Using 3 way diverter vs 3 separate volume valves in a shower Oct 30, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Delta R22000 Shower tub remodel, diverter problem Oct 15, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Low lead shower diverter options w/ flow control Jun 11, 2017

Share This Page