Shower diverter problem

Users who are viewing this thread

jeff2201

Reaction score
I am having an issue with a diverter on a bathtub faucet. The faucet is a one knob for hot/cold with the diverter knob on the tub spout.

With the faucet turned slightly so water is at a lower pressure, the diverter works normally. However, if I increase the pressure to the spout water will start to come out of the shower.

I tinkered with the diverter with no luck. Finally I removed the knob and diverter assembly from the spout altogether and I still had the issue of water coming out of the shower head. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Any thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this a new installation? If so, what kind of pipe did you use to make the connection? The manufacturers also often specifiy only to use one outlet on the valve and you need an el to route it up to the showerhead. If you use both outlets, it won't work properly.

If it an installation that had been working properly, and this just started, can't think of a good reason...maybe one of the pros can.

jeff2201

Reaction score
the shower worked before i remodeled it. I had to move some pipes to fit the new valve body and used copper. I followed all of the mfg (pegasus) suggestions on mounting/component locations. I get plenty of pressure so I don't think that it is a pipe problem. When i pulled the diverter, water only came out of the shower head like it should.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Having "plenty of pressure" could make it a pipe problem. Depending on what you did to make the valve fit, you could have created resistance, or restriction, between the valve and the diverter to the point where the excess pressure/flow has to relieve itself up the riser to the shower head. In an extreme case you might have inverted the valve which would cause the same problem.

moen-tub-outlet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff2201

Reaction score
I remember that the valve body had the word "up" stamped on it for orientation, so I did a quick check and it is in the right position. I don't think I have a excessive amount of pressure, but I have been wrong before.

Referring back to the vague instructions I noticed that there are what screws on the valve body between the center and where the supplys attach. Pegasus refers to these as 'stops'. Is it possible that adjusting these might benefit my situation?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They are designed to shut the water off so you can service the whole thing without having to turn the house water supply off. Shutting them partially might create some noise, but you could try. As noted, those valves are often only designed to use one output...if you use the upper one for the shower and the lower one for the tub spout, if it is not designed for it, that will give you problems. You can pick up an inexpensive water pressure gauge for about $10. Might be worth checking.

jeff2201

Reaction score
the valve has a a connection for the spout and the showerhead. mfg instructions say to connnect to both.

mfg also says that pressure on hot and cold must be approx. equal for it to work properly. If that is my problem, any ideas on how i can check that without tearing out my newly installed tile surround?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The valve itself should adjust for pressure fluctuations so that should not be the problem. If they sent a diverter spout, but did not furnish a "twin ell" then it was designed for the shower on top and the tub out the bottom. Your problem is more water than the pipe to the spout can handle and that is usually caused by the installer piping it incorrectly, but without seeing it or a picture we cannot diagnose the problem.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
My new Moen shower valves specifically ask for 1/2" copper from the valve to the tub faucet/diverter. Apparently the back-pressure generated by CPVC, for example, is enough to cause water to be diverted up to the showerhead.

jeff2201

Reaction score
mine didn't specify. I assume you used copper and didn't have any problems. If you hadn't do you know of a way to take off some of the pressure short of tearing out the wall?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Try removing the entire spout. In theory, without the spout, you should get no water at the shower head.It may very well be that an obstruction may be in the spout tubing from the valve to the exterior part of the shower. IE: an MIP adaptor with too much T tape at the bottom of the valve output.

they only other possibility, if your pressure is above 90psi, it may cause both the spout and shower to open up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks