Shower diverter knob not working

Users who are viewing this thread

bikindi

Reaction score
Good Morning!
This morning I went to take a shower and the diverter knob seems to be not working. That is to say, when I turn it, the water stops coming out of the faucet but not out of the shower head. There is a little bit out of the shower head but not as it should be.
Worked fine yesterday......
Any suggestions on what to check?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First suspect is the shower head itself clogged. Remove the head completely and turn on the water. You should get a gusher out of the shower arm, confirming that the head is clogged. Soak in vinegar, or just get a new one.

If the problem turns out to be in the control valve, then further disassembly and troubleshooting are required.

bikindi

Reaction score
More on diverter

Hi Jimbo, thanks for the reply! :)

On to removing the shower head -- when I moved into this house (1 1/2 years ago) I tired to remove this shower head to put a nice new one on there. With my pipe wrench I was unable to get it off.

I will need to try this again so is there something you can recommend to assist? An unlock solvent or just more elbow grease?

I hope, I hope, I hope that the head is just clogged!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes a strap wrench helps. It also doesn't tend to mar the finish, and since you are attaching to a bigger diameter area, you have a little more leverage. This kind of wrench can be purchased with either a rubber or a fabric belt on a handle.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
head

Your shower head attachment may be one that is not removable, even though it appears that it should unscrew. Unfasten the nut holding the head to the arm, do not unscrew the attachment that is coming through that nut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks