Shower curtain rod assembly for free-standing tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Jperkin

Reaction score
My boyfriend's free-standing tub currently has a rectangular fixture above it to attach shower curtains to. It attaches to the ceiling on the left where the faucet is, and to the wall on the other end. The dimensions are 44" x 25". That is too narrow. The curtains keep sticking to me and I absolutely hate it! Everything I find online within a reasonable price range is not any wider. Ones that are substantially wider cost over a grand or even two grand. Are there any DIY options or can you point me in a different direction? Thanks. Jen

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Can you try a weighted curtain or adding weights to the bottom of the curtain? I'm sure you could build something out of parts from Home Depot such as pipes, electrical conduits, dowels, shower curtain holders, etc. But I'm not sure I could tell you how to do it without seeing the situation.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some curtain liners have weights that are magnets that would stick to the cast iron tub.That could make enough difference. So liner inside the tub. Decorative shower curtain outside the tub. Both on the same rod.

I ran across this while looking around... doesn't apply to your case: https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/Magnet-applications/Fastening-a-shower-curtain They embed magnets into the floor where other magnets in the curtain hit, and there is more force. That has got to be tricky to get the length right. In a tub, an outside curtain only would drop a lot of water on the floor. If the floor was suitable for that (a drain and slope), then other possibilities develop.

And then, there are some advantages for taking a bath. With nothing to hold onto, I would think a free-standing tub would risk a fall while you are standing on one foot.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Since the inside measurement of a standard tub is ~24" , you would need a custom installation that would still have whatever curtain sticking to your lower extremeties unless you build a moat around the tub for water runoff. The correct answer is 'bigger tub'!

Jperkin

Reaction score
I saw weights for curtain liners, but I didn't know if that would be enough to make a difference. I guess I can try. I can take a picture if you wanted, but it does sound involved to DIY.

Can you try a weighted curtain or adding weights to the bottom of the curtain? I'm sure you could build something out of parts from Home Depot such as pipes, electrical conduits, dowels, shower curtain holders, etc. But I'm not sure I could tell you how to do it without seeing the situation.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I used electrical conduit to make one years ago. I might have made the end brackets myself since I was welding at the time. Don't remember. It was pretty easy to do and worked well. Conduit is dirt cheap.

Jperkin

Reaction score
I used electrical conduit to make one years ago. I might have made the end brackets myself since I was welding at the time. Don't remember. It was pretty easy to do and worked well. Conduit is dirt cheap.

I was looking just now at schedule 40 PVC pipe. How would I attach it to the ceiling?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut a 30" piece of 1x6 and screw it to the ceiling; through the sheetrock and into the joists in two places. Get a galvanized floor flange, threaded. 1/2" or 3/4", and screw it to the board straight above the end of the tub. Take a piece of galvanized pipe of the proper length and screw it into the flange. On the bottom end, screw on a tee. From there you can use any kind of plumbing pipe to make your circle. Screw male adapters into the tee and go around from there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks