Shower corner is leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Tshar12

Reaction score
After redoing the bathroom the corner of the shower is leaking. I have taken the door and frame off and confirmed water is coming from the corner. I then repaired everything and applied extra caulk and it was ok for a while and then about a month later started to leak again. Any advice? Picture attached.

Attachments

• 2C91BFBE-653B-4C65-B8B6-BC7B5FDE2018.jpeg
    2C91BFBE-653B-4C65-B8B6-BC7B5FDE2018.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 933

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's a bit tough to diagnose without more information.

Unfortunately, studies indicate that 70-80% of tiled showers are not built to industry standards. The process isn't hard, but it is very detail oriented...get one thing wrong, and you can have issues.

First thing I'd check is if the top of the curb is sloped towards the inside of the shower. Then, some information on the method used to build the shower and the waterproofing of the pan.

You said 'corner'. Where exactly, and does it appear to be coming from a seam or around the trim of the door hardware, or where?

Tshar12

Reaction score
It's a bit tough to diagnose without more information.

Unfortunately, studies indicate that 70-80% of tiled showers are not built to industry standards. The process isn't hard, but it is very detail oriented...get one thing wrong, and you can have issues.

First thing I'd check is if the top of the curb is sloped towards the inside of the shower. Then, some information on the method used to build the shower and the waterproofing of the pan.

You said 'corner'. Where exactly, and does it appear to be coming from a seam or around the trim of the door hardware, or where?

It is leaking into the wall from the corner of the shower (if you are looking at the shower from the outside it’s the bottom left corner). It only leaks when water hits the corner. It’s not an all tile shower as there is a shower pan. Last time I took it all off and repaired the grout and caulk. I am not 100 sure how to seal it up.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My guess is there is movement of the shower pan which breaks the seal. It could be that the pan is not tight to the floor or that the entire floor moves. You could try weighting down the pan with sacks of sand before recaulking and leave the sacks there for a few days while the caulk cures.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the floor wasn't level when the pan was installed, or the pan was not set in something to level it and make it solid, it may be sloped towards the outside. Caulking in that case is only a temporary solution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks