Shower control valve removal

Users who are viewing this thread

JustinB

Reaction score
I am trying to repair/replace the shower control valve cartridge which is severely leaking when valve is on. I understand that I need to remove the round metal housing ring in order to get to the retaining clip that holds the cartridge in, but I can't get it to pull out. It feels like it's locked in with the plastic backing plate shown in the picture. I've pulled and pulled on the metal ring and it won't budge with the gray plastic there. Any ideas on how to get the cartridge out? I know I'm probably missing something simple! Thanks for any advice!
image.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pull it harder with small pliers grabbing inside the "notch" on top. There is NOTHING holding it in place. The black plastic "thing" is probably holding the valve in place, otherwise I would remove it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks