Shower backup when doing laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

iknowaguy

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a small issue I am looking to fix while I am remodeling my basement bathroom. See attched very crude diagram.
Basically the washer drains into the utility sink wich has a 1.5" ptrapinto a 1.5" drain with an AAV. This same line goes into the bathroom next to the laundry room which picks up a sink which also has an AAV. This line ultimately goes below the basement floor and ties into the main sanitary line. Also in the bathroom is a stand up shower which ties directly into the main sanitary line under the slab.

When ever the washer drains, water sometimes comes up through the shower pan, then drains back down. It ultimately drains, the water is sucked out of the p trap. I have the walls opened up and would like to fix the issue.

Attachments

• basement.png
    basement.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 217

Reach4

Reaction score
Your clog is downstream of where the washer drainage joins the shower drainage.

Get your septic tank emptied if you have one. Otherwise, get the line labeled main sanitary line/exit house cleaned to the city sewer. You could have roots in the line under the lawn.

Be glad you noticed this now.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you are opening the floor at all installing a sewer backflow preventer would be an advantage. Any backup from the city sewer system will unload into your basement from the shower drain.

cyphergt

Reaction score
How old is your house? I know that in my home the issue was at the sewage cleanout plug we have an old P Trap before going out to the municipal sewage system and it had a fatberg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks