Shower and faucet turns on

Users who are viewing this thread

2020learn

Reaction score
Hello. Every time I turn on the faucet in my tub some water will also comes out of the shower. How can I fix this? If you have a video tutorial or can suggest a video link will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Piping to the tub spout should be copper or full size pipe nipples. If PEX or CPVC is run to the tub spout it forces water upward to the shower head.

2020learn

Reaction score
The problem started after I tightened the the loose diverter, the middle handle (I think that's what it's called). I have the three handle shower/tub faucet. I might have turned it the wrong way or too tight/not tight enough?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With a three handle faucet, the middle diverter is either turned in, or it's opened up.

The Phister diverter has a plastic washer that's loose that helps to divert water to the shower head.
You can barely see it here, between the part that's open and the seal that threads out.

pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks