Shower Access Box

Users who are viewing this thread

DoorGuy500

Reaction score
I recently had a contractor convert a sunken tub into an ADA curbless shower. When the tub was pulled, there was a hole in the slab and the dirt was exposed. The work on the floor was done, I think the contractor simply filled the dirt area with concrete. Is there a code requiring an access box of some sort? My shower P trap is now clogged with something resembling concrete, but thinking of jack-hammering the new tile floor to gain access has me wondering if he filled the dirt area with concrete, I might have 12" of concrete to hammer through to gain access to the P trap for replacement. I would prefer this be on his nickel, not mine.

Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
I recently had a contractor convert a sunken tub into an ADA curbless shower. When the tub was pulled, there was a hole in the slab and the dirt was exposed. The work on the floor was done, I think the contractor simply filled the dirt area with concrete. Is there a code requiring an access box of some sort?
No.

My shower P trap is now clogged with something resembling concrete,
Are you exaggerating about the material? Have you had a renter in there? Did he leave on bad terms? Was there a boy who liked to try things?

How long ago was this trap put in?

What, besides shower water and hair, did you put down there? Chemicals?

I am not a pro.

DoorGuy500

Reaction score
No.

Are you exaggerating about the material? Have you had a renter in there? Did he leave on bad terms? Was there a boy who liked to try things?

How long ago was this trap put in?

What, besides shower water and hair, did you put down there? Chemicals?

I am not a pro.

we purchased the home 2 years ago. Haven't used the sunken tub because my wife could not get into it. With a recent medical diagnoses, we decided to convert the tub location to a walk-in shower. Not expecting anything, the contractor filled in the dirt area with concrete and tiled the floor. (I was out of town at the time) When it was time to do all the clean-up, the water would not drain. Now we are looking at jack-hammering the floor to replace the P trap. They filled in the 14" deep plumbing access box with concrete... ugh...

we have no idea what is in there...

DoorGuy500

Reaction score
One more question, with slab on grade, the bathtub pulled, the dirt area for access to the P trap filled with concrete and thin set to build up and slope the floor to the drain. The contractor is now telling me he did not need any other shower pan. Is that correct?

What potential problems am I looking at? If any...

Reach4

Reaction score
Now we are looking at jack-hammering the floor to replace the P trap. They filled in the 14" deep plumbing access box with concrete... ugh...
I think the common thing is to fill with sand, or at least dirt, except for the top part. If that is really 14 inches of concrete, double ugh.

DoorGuy500

Reaction score
I just traded emails with him, asking several questions. The hole was filled with concrete, then thin set to shape the floor and set the tile. Don't I need to have a shower pan? I'm trying to find a copy of the 2015 plumbing code, in case I need to cite chapter and verse.

Please note this is an ADA zero entry shower, no curb. I have 34" opening for wheelchairs...

Reach4

Reaction score
Not expecting anything, the contractor filled in the dirt area with concrete and tiled the floor. (I was out of town at the time) When it was time to do all the clean-up, the water would not drain.
Are you saying that the fact that the drain was blocked was known to the contractor before he left???

Highlander

Reaction score
Sometimes inexperienced people installing tile dump the grout sponge rinse bucket in a shower drain or toilet or whatever, not realizing all that cementitious stuff will clog the p-trap. Maybe it's what happened to your installation?

Also, and I think that's your latest question, even though it's slab on grade, there should be some sort of waterproofing layer beneath the tiles whether it's painted or membrane or copper or lead pan or any other accepted method in your area. Tile directly on concrete is not.

Reach4

Reaction score
You contracted for a functional shower. You did not get a functional shower.

I would think you should ask the contractor if he will fix it, or whether you need to take it to court or the licencing authorities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks