Should I use my 'new' Autrotrol 155???

Users who are viewing this thread

Enduroman

Reaction score
Just inherited an Autotrol 155 water softener from a house my parents just bought. There was a note on it when they moved in saying water softener was in use until 6 months ago, when the city began delivering softened water. I thought it would be as simple as plumbing it in, and turning it on. I thought wrong, again. I know very little about water softeners, and after a few hours reading online, I'm now overwhelmed. Is this a good spot to get some answers about this unit how I can getting it going properly? Brine settings, resin replacement etc. Thx

Some facts:
-Water hardness from well = 191 (I have a full analysis on the water from a lab)
-Resin tank 10" diameter, approx 4+ feet tall
-Resin appears to fill the tank up to ~19" below very top of the tank
-4 people and a baby living in house
- have ample supply of Windsor System Saver II salt pellets

Reach4

Reaction score
I would go for it if the resin was kept wet and water is not too expensive where you are. If the resin dried out, it probably needs replacement.

http://www.softenerparts.com/Resin_Replacement_s/54.htm says that is 1.25 cuft of resin. That site has a manual for download and sells parts. I would clean it out while you are at it.

That is a little undersized based on Gary's calculator, but not bad. Set the salt control maybe at the middle. Go up or down as experience shows. I suggest a hardness test. Hach 5B is the good choice.

Regen every 6 or 7 days initially depending on which wheel you have. If you get hardeness late in the period, as shown by your test kit, regen more often. If company comes, regen more often during the visit-- possibly with manually triggered regen (push the red button/knob in and turn a bit CCW). Since that is not a demand type controller, it will not adjust to changes in water use on its own.

Note that controller had its inlet on the opposite side of Fleck and Clack controllers.

If you were to buy a new softener, I would go with one with 1.5 cuft of resin and a Fleck 5600 SXT controller or a 2 cuft of resin and a Fleck 7000SXT controller. I will PM an example.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Timeclock softeners are not an ideal solution but they do work. Post some pictures of it so we can gauge the condition and exact model number. The valves will usually have a stamped date code on them, post that if you can. Post your well water report too so we can assist you with the settings.

Enduroman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
Not sure if the resin was kept wet. I don't mind replacing it anyway.
Water is free for me (on a well) but I don't want to put too much down my drain as my septic field is long in the tooth. That change anything? How much do these things use during a regeneration?
I think I'll pick up a rebuild kit (found one on Ebay for $55) just so that I know I'm in good shape.
How much salt should I put in the brine tank initially?
Thanks again!
Dan

Reach4

Reaction score
That cleaned up nicely. There are I think three things screwed into the sides that you want to unscrew and clean. You may not need a rebuild kit. Some stretch things out by reversing the flappers.

These things sometimes sing during backwash. That may be an indication that the flappers need attention.

Your manganese is high at 0.252 ppm. Somebody may have a suggestion on that. It is not harmful to drink.

I like to slant my salt level and to leave a little water visible. Most routinely fill to about half way or more.

As shown in your pix, the softener will regenerate tonight if pin #4 is pulled out.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks