Should I use a closet flange spacer ring - or just double the wax ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I will be tiling my in-laws Condo bathroom. It has vinyl flooring now. This is first floor, concrete floor, Condo.
When I remove the toilet and tile under it, the closet flange will then be too low. The tile and thin set will probably be around 1/2" thick.
I want to get all the parts now so I can finish the job in one day - so...

Should I get a Sioux Chief "Raise-A-Ring kit" or is it more customary to just use at thicker (or double) wax ring in this circumstance? http://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/spacer-repair/raise-a-ring

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would double wax it.

The only way a stacked plastic ring could ever work is if you globbed on Silicone between every piece, and let that dry before you did anything.
There are way too many ways those can leak.

I will sometimes during a new installation use a spacer to raise the entire closet flange higher, but I never stack anything over the flange.

Wax works fine.

Merr203

Reaction score
I'm actually dealing with this issue myself. In my case the flange will be about 5/16" below the flooring. Isn't the double wax ring (while apparently common practice) a code issue? From my research it doesn't provide any mechanical support and can be unreliable over time.

I'm having a hard time finding a solution that is also code compliant -- Set-Rite being one possibility.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread - a low flange seems to be a very common occurrence. I'd just like to pick the best method so I can set it and forget it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A wax ring does not provide ANY "mechanical support" that is a function of the floor the toilet is setting on. A #10 thick wax seal is better than two wax rings, unless you know HOW to use two rings.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet rocks, no wax ring will end up providing a reliable seal...dryfit the toilet, and locate where you may need shims, tape them in place, then add the wax and set the toilet. You only get one chance...if you remove it, you need new wax. Depending on the quality of your tile job and the state of the existing floor, and the toilet itself, many toilets will need shims to keep it from rocking. Over vinyl, especially cushioned stuff, you have a lot more leaway, since that stuff compresses like a spring, and can help keep things stable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks