Should I replace an old Eljer toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Sandee

Reaction score
In preparing to sell my mom's house in the near future I am going to be updating my mom's upstairs bathroom with a new vanity from Lowe's. (She currently has a very old worn out wall sink.) The toilet that is currently there has to be a minimum of about 12 years old and could be as old as 20 years or so. I am not really sure when it was changed out. It has a faded word "Eljer' in the center between the sink and the tank. The toilet sits on one of those rectangular floor platforms (always did). So I am going to call Eljer and send them a photo to see if they could possibly identify the age somehow. It is the 2nd bathroom in the house so it had low to average use. The last 10 - 20 years it really would have been used by just 1 person.

My question is this: The toilet seems to be working fine..A part was changed out in the tank a few years ago. I also recently replaced the worn seat. So I was just wondering if I am going to be hiring a plumber anyway to install the vanity is it wise to have him also replace the toilet with a more water effecient one like we did downstairs? Or should I hope for the best, that the toilet will last at least thru the sale and hopefully longer and use the money for things definitely needed like a new carpet in the diningroom/linvingroom. Would I really save that much cost wise to have him do everything at once verses 2 separate jobs?

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Don’t fix what isn’t broken. If it was my house and I was selling it, I would avoid any repair that wasn’t absolutely necessary. But that’s me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks