Should I remove a galvanized nipple that goes into the p trap in a bathroom sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

slinky

Reaction score
I posted awhile ago about a misaligned drain to the p trap in a bathroom sink.
Decided to remove the sink/vanity due to age/poor condition, now I have more
room to work with then before.

I was advised to remove the galvanized nipple coming out of the wall because it might rot
out in the bottom and leak and to thread in a pvc male adapter, then a 1/8 bend so the p-trap
can be more towards the direction that I want it to be.

I have a very small leak in the hot water shut off valve, so might as well change both of them.
thinking new is better then old. The leak was coming from where the teflon tape is. Advice? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Galvanized will eventually rust out, but it could last a long time. If you did want to change it, you could replace it with a brass nipple, or screw on a desanko fitting that would allow you to attach a tubular drain. If you really do need the offset, you could instead install an elbow on that new brass nipple first.

Adding teflon tape to the compression fitting is almost certainly the cause of the leak...it never should be used on a compression fitting. Tape or pipe dope are required on threaded tapered pipe connections, not straight threaded ones as used for compression fittings. If the shutoffs aren't 1/4-turn ones, it wouldn't hurt to change them since you have good access now.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
What he said. :)

nipple-rusted.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your problem will NOT be because the nipple is galvanized, it will probably be because it is TOO long. Remove it and then either screw in a brass Marvel/De Sanko/trap adapter, (whichever it is called in your area), or a male plastic adapter. What you do after you remove the nipple will be determined by what type of sink you use and WHERE you position it.

trap_adapter_brass.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks