Should I "preventatively" replace circulator pump cartridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

absincog

Reaction score
We have a Taco circulator pump connected to our natural gas fired hot water tank to provide (near) instant hot water to the more distant fixtures in the system. The O-ring failed ~6 months ago after almost 10 years in service, spraying water into the basement. I replaced the entire cartridge (Taco 005-020RP), including the O-ring.

Yesterday, the hot water tank failed after more than 10 years in service, and began leaking into the basement. I shut off both the cold water in and hot water out valves, opened the relief valve and began draining the tank. Unfortunately, I didn't think to unplug the circulator pump for ~2 hours. When I did, the pump still appeared to be functioning (based on the characteristic hum and vibration in the pump unit when touched), but the housing was EXTREMELY hot (as in couldn't touch for more than a second). I am sure the pump ran for at least 90 minutes dry.

I am gun shy from the recent O-ring failure and am wondering whether I should replace the pump and O-ring to prevent a premature failure. I can get a replacement kit for $60.

Recommendations? Thanks, in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it runs quietly once you get things filled back up again, I'd probably not replace it at this time. But, make a note to listen carefully when you do go by it. Once it starts to make noises or vibrating more than normal, then it's ready to replace.

absincog

Reaction score
If it runs quietly once you get things filled back up again, I'd probably not replace it at this time. But, make a note to listen carefully when you do go by it. Once it starts to make noises or vibrating more than normal, then it's ready to replace.

Thanks for the response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks