Should I install Backwashing Carbon Filter on City Water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Offguard-2

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the cost-benefit of a Clack Backwashing Carbon Filter on City Water. I've heard different opinions as I try and make a purchasing decision. I'm hoping the knowledge here can help me BUY and not be SOLD on my decision.

City Water to my house measures:
Hardness 180 - 209 ppm
Chloramines 1.54 - 3.16 mg/L

Based on the quotes I've received, it typically increases the cost by at least $1500 for WS + Backwashing Carbon Filter instead of just WS. Is there a compelling reason to get the filter upgrade and pay the premium given my water?

I have an RO for my drinking water and copper pipes throughout. House is less than 2 years old.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Catalytic carbon done properly is highly recommended by most, just be aware that it can be done very poorly as well and be of little benefit.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
catalytic carbon, if you really are concerned about Chloramine.
City water doesn't really need whole house type. Kitchen with filtered water at dispensers is a simpler way to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks