Should I have put a 3”clean out here?

Users who are viewing this thread

BlueGoldfish

Reaction score
First time doing DWV work...

Adding a new washer stub out. Even though I only needed 2” sewer - I ran 3” underslab to this location incase I ever remodel and want a toilet here. I reduce to 2” coming out the slab and then it’s all 2” from there including vent. Of course right after I glued that ptrap I am second guessing if I should have done a 3” clean out at the slab before the reducer.

4ED7266D-0237-4A1B-9E6A-878E6B569BE3.jpeg

Wondering if
1. This would pass as-is with the 2” cleanout
2. It’s ok to rely on 2” opening to snake. This is the end of the 3” line.

Fwiw - my county is on UPC.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless that 3" connects to a drain within 5ft that has a cleanout then yes, you should have installed a 3" cleanout. The required minimum opening of a cleanout for a 3" drain is 2.5".

The problem with having too small of an opening is that your equipment can get twisted around and stuck inside of a drain. We just had that happen in a high rise (caused by improperly/backwards installed fittings) which is a nightmare to track down and fix.. especially getting that stuck under a slab.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might as well get a 3x2 tee for the washer connection otherwise what's the point?

BlueGoldfish

Reaction score
Might as well get a 3x2 tee for the washer connection otherwise what's the point?

If I understand this comment correctly I would install a 3:3:3 sanitee coming out the slab (with a cleanout), and then a 3:3:2 sanitee branching 2" off to p-trap and then a 3:2 reducer above that to the 2" vent.

Is this any different from installing a 3:3:3 sanitee coming out the slab (with a cleanout) and then 3:2 reducer, then 2:2:2 sanitee branching to p-trap and vent?

Or did you mean to install one of those funky 3:3:3:2 hub sanitee things like this:

so that it just a single fitting?

The point of having 3" at washer was simply to be able to convert to a toilet flange in the future by just breaking concrete in that area vs having to break 10 ft back to nearest 3" branch.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So many ways to do that in Seattle. The 3" cleanout is for end of line.
The washer needs a 2" drain. Anyway you put that together works.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So a 22.5 and a 45? Just trying to understand why they look so different. Not an issue.

Thanks, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
Will you add a water softener? Now would be a good time to think about that.

BlueGoldfish

Reaction score
Will you add a water softener? Now would be a good time to think about that.
Wasn’t planning on. We are on the softer side of spectrum for water. This is a relocate of existing laundry that doesn’t have softener and hasn’t been a problem. I did consider one of those ozone machine things to eliminate detergent - but decided it’s probably snake oil after watching a few comparison vids.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So a 22.5 and a 45? Just trying to understand why they look so different. Not an issue.
OK, I was being dense--given that the net offset is so small, the two elbows have to be the same bend. So I'm still confused as to why they look so different (not that it matters).

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks