Should I flush my new AO Smith GCV-50 water heater every 6-12 months?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have a new AO Smith model GCV-50 natural gas water heater. It has a "Dynaclean Diffuser dip tube", which is advertised as "helps reduce lime and sediment buildup, maximizes hot water output. Made from longlasting PEX cross-linked polymer". It's shown here, on page 2:
http://www.hotwater.com/lit/catalogs/arbca00106.pdf

So since I have a water heater with a fancy corkscrew dip tube, does this mean I don't have to flush the tank every 6-12 months? I've asked this question of two plumbers who came out, one was the installer, and another had experience installing that brand and model, but was coming out for a different reason. One said "no, you don't need to flush it, it has a fancy corkscrew dip tube" (I'm paraphrasing), and the other said "yes, you do need to flush it, but don't bother turning off the water or the burner first. Just plug in a garden hose, turn on the drain valve, let it drain for 5 minutes, and then turn off the drain valve".

So since I've had one person tell me that I don't have to flush it, and another tell me I do have to flush it, I thought I'd ask more people, in the hopes of clearing up the issue definitively.

The water heater is about 7 weeks old.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. The self cleaning feature ONLY works with a relatively high flow velocity, which is impossible with the current reduced flow faucets, other than the clothes washer and the bathtub.
2, The next time I flush my water heater, (any of them I have ever had in the past 60 years), will be the first one I have ever done.
3. Flush it monthly, semi annually, or annually if you want. It is something that may NOT do any good, but will not do any harm either.

Reach4

Reaction score
While thinking of how to prolong the life of your water heater, I suggest reading about anode rods. Your anode on your new water heater is already very hard to take out, and in three years will have gotten harder.

I went to a powered anode after having to resort to a larger impact wrench to remove the existing eaten-away anode rod.

I have not done routine flushing. If I had sediment in my water that could reach the heater I would be inclined to flush routinely. If I had hard water feeding the heater, I would doubt that deposits would wash away. I don't know. If I had softened water, and I do, then I think the anode is more important.

Not a pro.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is "making popcorn" because there are mineral "nodules" on the inside of the central flue. Water gets trapped in them and then the hot gases turn the water in to steam. The steam is forced out of the tiny hole in the nodule and when it enters the water in the tank it "condenses" with a "mini explosion" which is the popcorn sound you hear. It will continue until the opening in the nodule gets large enough so the water can circulate out without turning to steam.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks