Should I complain about this plumbing fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nesterdewalt

Reaction score
When I turned on the shut off valve for my outside wall spigots the spring, the valve was leaking. It is located up in the ceiling joist above the water heater and in a difficult spot to access. I hired a plumber to do the work and I was disappointed to see that with their repair, they used pex piping and also mechanical fittings for the copper lines that they added/repaired. They ended up rerouting the kitchen hard line to make it easier to repair and didn’t secure this line to the joist so I get a knock when I turn on then off that water in the kitchen.

If I would have known that this is what they were going to do, I would have saved the $500 and done the work myself. I hired a plumber because I didn’t think I could handle the soldered joint up near the ceiling like that, and also knew it would take me forever to measure up the copper pipe, cut, solder, etc. Do you think I have a legitimate right to call the company and complain or is this pretty standard now?

6E4226CA-5ABE-4842-B2DF-06DAEDA7B63E.jpeg

Attachments

• F0E02CA1-2006-47BF-80E6-AA0214C75AF6.jpeg
    F0E02CA1-2006-47BF-80E6-AA0214C75AF6.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 113

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The straps I'd complain about. The piping is going to be a tough thing to complain about unless you ask for copper and sweat joints your going to get the quick, easy, and locally approved method. They don't want the extra work and liability so you'll pay more to have it that way.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The price of copper is high...especially on a short run, PEX is quicker and easier to install, and usually doesn't impact volume much. It's also safer than using a torch to solder in tight situations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks