Should a 2-3 year old disposal be this rusty already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Too Ambitious

Reaction score
This is an Insinkerator Badger 5 mfg in 2019.

I pulled this to redo my kitchen sink fixture drain and noticed how rusty it already is. Is this normal?

IMG_7169 (1).jpeg

IMG_7170 (1).jpeg

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Badger 5 model only has galvanized grinding components, so yes, that's pretty much normal. If you upgrade to the next model you will get stainless steel components. Just another way they cut costs.

Too Ambitious

Reaction score
I just looked up the Consumer Reports rating on this model... yikes.

1642713574027.png

I'll definitely upgrade whenever this kicks it. (I doubt it lasts much longer than 2 more years based on the "double the warranty" rule of thumb.) $40 more gets you their Consumer Reports' rated model, which has a 1-1/4 hp motor (vs. 1/2) and a 10 year warranty (vs. 2!)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Badger is what you tend to see on new construction or flips unless it's a nicer home...they're cheap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks