Shortest front projection 14" rough in toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Shleprock

Reaction score
Hi all - looking to replace the toilet in my 150 yr old home. Closet flange CL is about 15" from wall and I have minimal space in front of the toilet. Do 14" rough in toilets have the outlet closer to the front of the toilet? ..i.e. , disregarding the space behind the tank...would a 12" rough in give me more room in front of the bowl? I could live with a gap behind the toilet if so. Any suggestions are appreciated! Just looking to make this bathroom more livable and an inch or two of space would make a difference.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally recommend a TOTO that uses a 14" adapter.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/14-rough-in-toilet-choices.31868/

It moves the bowl back two inches so that when you're sitting down, you have just a bit more room for the feet. Those are elongated bowls, so you only pick up 1/2" in front of the bowl, but there is more room for sitting.

toilet_14_rough.jpg

On the left is a TOTO Soiree with a 14" Unifit adapter.
On the right is a 14" Cadet 3.
Notice how little room there is with the Cadet 3 in this small Seattle bathroom.

Shleprock

Reaction score
Perfect! thanks. Now I just need to research which current Toto unifit compatible model is the shortest. Appreciate the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
It might be Aquia 4 by a nose. Note that uses a different, maybe harder to find in 14 inch, Unifit than others.

Vespin is comparable depth to Soiree, and cheaper. Soiree is one-piece, which has some advantages, but is heavier to carry the heaviest piece. Toto one-piece toilets come with seats.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
unifit-install-14-rough-01.jpg

A 1920's 14" rough that was common when tanks were bolted to the wall and connected with a brass pipe to the bowl.

unifit-install-14-rough-03.jpg

Moving the bowl back 2" closer to the wall gives you that much more leg room when sitting.

unifit-install-14-rough-04.jpg

TOTO Vespin II CST474CEFG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
unifit-install-14-rough-05.jpg

This one was more like 14-3/4" on the rough. An old 1910 home in Seattle where the toilets had wall mount tanks and a bowl the connected with a chrome bend.
Going to a 14" Unifit allowed the bowl to be closer by 2" to the back wall. Tile on concrete, so 5/16" roto hammer bits come in handy.

unifit-install-14-rough-06.jpg

The adapter installed and ready for the bowl.

unifit-install-14-rough-07.jpg

I normally use a 12" or 16" supply, but this one with the odd configuration looked like the 20" would be better.

unifit-install-14-rough-08.jpg

TOTO Carlyle II, MS614124CEFG with the 14" Unifit.
A taller bowl, elongated, so easier to use and still gave more space in the bathroom than the old round front that I pulled out. Sitting down the door was further away too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks