Shorten a 14" Uni-fit adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

wlpitcher

Reaction score
Could a 14" Toto Uni-fit adapter be cut, shortened and welded back together?

We're thinking of a Toto Guinevere toilet. I thought our rough-in was centered between the hold down bolts but the plumber said it's at the rear bolt, which makes it 13" from the wall. Can't actually locate it until the existing toilet, in there since 1940, is removed. We're tight between the front of the toilet and the shower door swing so can't afford wasted space behind the toilet. Could the 14" Uni-fit adapter be modified to fit?

Or could the toilet be set about 1/2" off center on the trap seal, which would still give 1/8" or so clearance between the rear of the toilet and the wall? How much "wiggle room" is there in the setting?

Or does Toto make a compact elongated toilet, shorter front to back, which would allow us to put this toilet in without all the maneuverings?

Reach4

Reaction score
This thread talks about what I did. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/#post-428138 I took a very long time doing what I did. I am sure you realize it is very non-standard. Still, the pictures might tell you something.

When I see dimensions such as 13 inches, I figure the number is maybe plus or minus 3/8. The number that I measured to the back bolts and the number I measured once the old toilet was away from the closet flange differed some. My bolts were not equally spaced from the wall, either.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is usually at least 1/4", and sometimes more 'slop' when installing a toilet onto a toilet flange. I think you'll find that you can fudge things probably a bit more with the unifit adapter. The actual outlet of the toilet is about 2-1/8", and even on a 3" pipe, you have some room to offset the thing and still keep the seal intact. With something like a RamBit, you could cut and ream out the sockets and make the straight section nearly any length, but it may not be necessary. The toilet comes with the 12" adapter, and if you buy the 14" one, you could play with the 12" one and modify it.

wlpitcher

Reaction score
Thanks Reach 4, think your referenced thread defines the "play". If the id of the cast iron pipe is 3.5" and the unifit id is 2.25" there should be about 5/8" to move back and forth and still be lined up. Which ties in with jadnashua's post, think I'll go with his idea, get both and see what rough-in I actually have when the existing toilet comes off.

Or, does any other manufacturer has a compact elongated toilet that would give a little more room in front?

Reach4

Reaction score
As described in the thread I pointed to above, I had both handy when I pulled the old toilet, because the 12 is included with the toilet. I would have to modify either with a drill. Part of the choice of using the 12 instead of the 14 is that the 12 has negligible resale value. I sold the 14.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks