Short toilets (front to back)

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
We do a fair number of bath remodels in very old houses where space is limited. So this subject comes up often.

Does anyone know of any published reports, tables, etc. where I can look up the dimensions of many toilets so I can choose one(s) with a very short front-to-back dimension? The rough-in dimension is not important, only the total front to back space the toilet occupies.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've not seen a comparison chart, especially one that crosses brands. But, while maybe annoying, that info is generally available, but you have to dig it out manually by viewing spec sheets after you've narrowed down the style or brand you want a bit. While things are fairly stagnant, they do make changes, and any list would be subject to errors as well, potentially in short order.

Keep in mind that an elongated toilet from one company may end up shorter than a round one from another, and that knee room may be equivalent, even though an elongated may in fact be longer because of where you actually sit on the thing. It's when you have door swing issues that it becomes the biggest issue.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO makes round bowls that are 26.5" long. There will be space behind the tank on a 12" rough, so add between 1/2" and 1" for some of these.
CST243
CST743
CST453
MS853

All brands have web sites that allow sorting by bowl size.
The Cadet 3 series is 28-1/4" on a 12" rough.

You say you don't care about the rough-in dimension. Why? Do you have some sort of idea of how to stick a toilet down anywhere in the room and make it work?

cst243-spec-1.jpg

cst243ef_blue_1.jpg

Last edited:

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Terry, yes, most of my baths are complete guts and we typically replace the toilet drain pipes and flanges. So I can place the new toilet flange wherever I want/need. What I meant is that if there are short toilets with a weird rough dimension that doesn't bother me.

As far as actual dimensions, I have a round bowl one-piece Kohler in my own house that is a total of 25" front to back, so I know I can do better than 26.5" in a round bowl.

Jad, I understand that it would be more efficient to narrow down the choices to certain brands, etc. But that is exactly the point of this thread. I need to first narrow it down to toilets that actually fit in the room, nothing else matters if they don't fit.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As far as actual dimensions, I have a round bowl one-piece Kohler in my own house that is a total of 25" front to back, so I know I can do better than 26.5" in a round bowl.

Yes, the old Kohler low-boys from the 80's.
I guess you can find those second hand.
And when they ever need to replace their toilets, having a non-standard rough is always nice.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
And when they ever need to replace their toilets, having a non-standard rough is always nice.

No need for sarcasm. I didn't say I prefer a non-standard rough. But if that's the only way to meet all requirements on a given job, I will give the client that choice, together with all caveats.
My Kohler is from cca 2000 and has 12" rough. Don't remember the model name

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes my toilet looks exactly like that. May be the same model. Glad to see they still make a short model.
Any other short ones like that? Don't care if it's one or two piece. Could even be a pull chain type, but the few pull chain ones I've looked at were surprisingly not very short at all.

k-4007-2.jpg

k-4007-1.jpg

k-4007-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Ballvalve, yes, I'm aware of wall mount toilets as well as floor-moiunted toilets with wall-mounted tanks.
Just trying to find a way of identifying conventional toilets with the shortest front-to-back dimensions.

Stuff

Reaction score
There seems to be a demand for space saving toilets with a standard 12" rough-in. How come none of the big manufacturers have come up with anything?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks