Short Cycling Shallow Well Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Wendell Barry

Reaction score
Installed new shallow well and side kick tank (See photo below). Well and Tank worked well when I had just one pipe hooked up with a valve to test well and tank set up. When I attached a manifold to direct water pipes to the two bathrooms and kitchen the pump began to what I believe is "Short Cycling" (Well keeps turning off then on briefly). Not sure what I need to do to fix problem?

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 137

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the pressure switch set to?
What is the air precharge in the pressure tank?

What pressure did you adjust the AAV to?

Reach4

Reaction score
Have not made any adjustments, well cuts off at 40 psi
Edit: I would set the pressure switch is set for 40/60 psi. Usually 3.5 turns clockwise on the nut on the big spring raises both cut-in and cut-off by 10 psi.

I would set the air precharge to 35 psi then, unless you get instructions to the contrary. The air precharge is always measured and set when the water pressure is zero.

While cycling, if the pressure never climbs to 55 psi, then LLigetfa's thought of the pressure switch snubber would explain it.

If the pressure climbs above 55 while cycling, suspect that your CSV is set to a too-high pressure. When you got the CSV, I expect there were instructions for adjusting.

See the "setting the valve" section of https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/csv1a-installation-instructions

As an unofficial alternative procedure I expect you could start by running water (2 to 3 gpm), and turn the adjusting screw CCW until the cycling stops. Then continue adjusting until the water pressure is where you want it to be -- maybe 50 psi. A tub (cold) or garden hose usually can put out about 5 gpm or so, so you could turn one of those until the flow was about 1/2 of max.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you ordered a kit with a 40/60 switch, it should shut off at 60. Maybe you have not properly wired and bypassed the switch that is on the side of the motor. It would cause rapid cycling and shut off at 40. Use the wiring diagram for "jet pump".

wiring diagram.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks